Falc plates are a thin set of 4 w/ thicker aluminium plates instead of steels. The DRT outer plate gives them more room to separate - less opportunity for dragging, better heat disbursement . A different approach than what I had been pursuing. I am concerned about the outer edges of the cork plates getting beat up fast, though.
Pat - How well does your outer friction plate line up with the primary slots? With the PV style DRT outer it's not evening close. I'm very interested in picking up a PK clutch and DRT outer for it if that fits better than what I have.
The PV 4 plate with a OK outer plate just wasn't cutting it. Good but still slipped pretty bad in the back straight full throtte. I forgot to ask you - did my clutch slip on you?
I ran the DRt taller outer plate in a standard primary w/ 5 plates both single spring & XL2 style in tests after last season. It takes a little manufacturing, :Pbut it is do-able. Your clutch did slip for me. Your motor was making good power for what we are doing. Keep on keeping on.
*Ahem - manufacturing... Basicly, you need to assume that nothing is going to spacially fit out of the gate. I reprofiled the inside taper of the spider very carefully until it sat where I wanted it. I also had to adjust the height of the plunger & mill some material from the inside of the clutch cover. And then - yes do some very careful bending of tabs on the corks and the steels. The DRT primary does have taller walls on the basket, so not so much bending necessary this last time/falc plates came pre-bent...
Given how much abuse the plates themselves experienced last season at every race, I am waiting to see how this one lasts. I have a hunch that the success of this setup is in the thicker aluminium steels that the Falc plates come with. The cork/carbon plates that come with it strongly resemble plates that I'd already run & totally destroyed... ;D
Wanted to post a followup on my clutch setup for tracking purposes.
I was running a standard PV clutch with 4 carbon plates and a very stiff spring. As I've previously pointed out, all of the outers I've come across are concave - I was running the flattest I could find. As expected, there was noticeable wear to the very inner portions of the plates (more pronounced on the outer-most steels). Fortunately no burning yet, but it really shows the weakness of trying to use standard parts in the situation.
The outer has been replaced by a stepped DRT part, held by two spring clips to seat it flush in the basket as on the stock setup. I replaced the innermost steel with a thicker three plate version to increase the preload a bit, and realigned the outer friction tabs to connect with the primary basket. Hope to test today or this weekend.
Hey Mike I'll be testing out my uberspring setup tomorrow. So far it looks promising. On fitting and rough (read inaccurate) initial testing preload is more than twice the stiffest spring I have but lever action is surprisingly manageable. These are the lightest springs I have for it. I can go stiffer if it fails miserably ... which it very well may. I'll let you know.
Looking forward to your results. I was really hoping the DRT plate would fix things up but the slip is completely unmanageable now. I can fully compress my stiffest spring with my body weight, so am looking for something in the 250-300lb/in range, but a multi-spring setup setup like yours would make more sense from a reliability standpoint. One notable caveat of a stiffer single spring is that thicker wire decreases the total available deflection, so it's entirely possible some binding could occur. Stuck with what I've got unfortunately.